Denis Hains holds a Bachelor Degree in Geodetic Sciences, Laval University and is a Québec Land Surveyor. He worked 35 years in the Public Service of Canada between Fisheries and Oceans Canada – including the Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS), the Canadian Coast Guard; and Natural Resources Canada’s Canadian Geodetic Survey. He retired as Director General CHS and Hydrographer General of Canada in 2018.
- Member of the:
- Board of Directors CIDCO as Vice President;
- International Hydrographic Review Editorial Board of the International Hydrographic Organization as US-Canada Hydrographic Commission;
- University of New Hampshire as Affiliate Research Scientist;
- Strategic Advisory Group of The Nippon Foundation-GEBCO Seabed 2030 Project, and External Advisor to the Ocean Frontier Mapping Committee;
- Quebec Land Surveyor Act Modernization Committee 2020-21.