The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Hydrographic Instrumentation Specialist.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applicants begins immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Be sure to include: 1) a cover letter detailing qualifications; 2) a current curriculum vitae and; 3) names and contact information for three references.
Southern Miss is an R1 Carnegie Research University – high research activity and is the premier university in the Gulf South for marine science. The Division of Marine Science is located at the John C. Stennis Space Center, which is a “federal city” that boasts the world’s largest concentration of oceanographers. The successful candidate will be required to pass a NASA background security check to work at Stennis, and a USM employment background check.
Serves as Hydrographic Instrumentation Specialist within the Hydrographic Science Research Center at The University of Southern Mississippi’s School of Ocean Science and Engineering. As part of a multidisciplinary research team, provides technical expertise and skill to accomplish research objectives while maintaining equipment, vessels, and facilities in a high state of readiness.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Conducts pre-cruise logistics operations and prepares survey equipment for use.
2. Trains students and faculty on equipment and vessel operations.
3. Manages hydrographic data and maintains maintenance logs for assigned equipment.
4. Manages, operates, and performs maintenance on survey equipment, such as:
- Autonomous Surface Vehicles (ASV) and associated components
- Autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV) and gliders
- Multibeam and singlebeam echosounders
- Motion compensation systems
- Data acquisition systems
- Global positioning systems (GNSS) and acoustic positioning systems
- CTD and sound velocity sensors
5. Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree and/or related experience in operation, maintenance repair, and integration of hydrographic equipment. Related experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Expert Marine electronics skill, including shipboard integration and troubleshooting/repair to the component level
- Ability to travel and work from large and small vessels.
- Ability to utilize hydrographic data acquisition and processing software.
- Should have demonstrated scientific, analytical, and numerical skills.
- Ability to be flexible.
- A logical and independent mind.
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Patience and determination.
- Teamwork and Interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate with a diverse group of individuals.
Advanced degree or certification in marine electronics. 10+ years experience integrating hydrographic collection systems aboard small to medium size vessels.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.
Find more information on www.geo-matching.com!
At Hydro International, we often receive permission requests to use our articles for republishing purposes. Get permission to reuse our content quickly and easily with PLS Permissions Request. Simply search for Hydro International and fill in the article you are looking for.